A message from The Markham Board of Trade and suggestions to our members regarding the COVID-19
With growing global concerns around COVID-19 (“coronavirus”), I wanted to provide you with an update on our actions to date and our commitment to you moving forward.
The health, safety and well-being of our employees, members and the business community is the Markham Board of Trade’s top priority and we are following the lead of the Canadian public and York Region health authorities. We encourage you to stay up-to-date through their websites.
We have taken a number of steps to minimize the potential for COVID-19 transmission. Beginning March 16, 2020 we are cancelling all MBT events (Breakfast Networking & After 5) until further notice. Meetings and use of our board rooms at the IBM Innovation space will be closed until May 4, 2020 or until further notice. We will continue to process documents for certifications on a limited basis unless the IBM building is closed to the public. MBT staff will be working remotely and keeping up with emails and telephone messages. Please feel free to keep in touch if there is anything we can do to assist you with challenges you are facing during this difficult time.
We are working closely with our regional chamber network along with our provincial and federal associations to seek solutions that will assist businesses affected by this pandemic.
Again, we continue to monitor this situation closely and will provide ongoing updates as they happen.
Wishing you all good health,
President & CEO, Markham Board of Trade
UPDATE: March 27, 2020
Details on the financing support being offered to entrepreneurs by BDC can be accessed as follows:
• Businesses seeking support through Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP) should first contact their financial institutions for an assessment of their situation. Financial institutions will refer to EDC and BDC their existing clients whose needs extend beyond what is available through the private sector alone.
• Existing BDC clients should reach out to their account manager for additional information.
• For a complete list of measures available for businesses, please visit Resources for Canadian Businesses: COVID 19 for the latest updates on relief measures for business or our website at www.bdc.ca/coronavirus
UPDATE: March 30, 2020 – City of Markham announces relief for local businesses
• No Late Payment Charges on Unpaid Tax Balances from April 1 to December 31 – Next Business Tax Instalment Dates: October 5 & November 5 Taxpayers encouraged to continue making payments on due dates
• Deferral of the 2020 Water Rate Increase of 7.8%
• Elimination of the Stormwater Rate for industrial/commercial properties for 2020 – Example: Commercial property valued at $2M will save $560
• Suspension of the Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT) for 2020
For more information, please visit the City of Markham website at www.markham.ca